Living in Scottsdale, our tendency is to hibernate during the unbearably hot summer months. But there is no shortage of exciting and anticipated events going on here and in the entire state of Arizona. Instead of spending summer indoors, here’s a list of five must-do events in July in Arizona that you can’t miss.
- Grand Canyon Railway – The Original Grand Canyon Tour (Year Round) – Leave the car at home and travel like they did in the early 20th century – via train. The train departs Williams and takes you directly to Grand Canyon National Park. Stunning scenery awaits you as you travel through many different landscapes, from pine forests to the open and high dry desert. Chances are you’ll see plenty of wildlife as well, including a variety of birds, elk, mountains lions and deer.
- Sizzlin’ Summer Bash at Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village (Sedona, July 7th) – Celebrate America’s independence in Sedona when the temps are always cooler than the Phoenix area. This family friendly event with includes great music, an outdoor BBQ with sliders, ribs & mini brats hosted by the Oak Creek Brewery. There will also be a pie eating contest, a dunk tank, face painting, kids crafts and much more. The fun starts at 11:00 and goes until 5:00.
- Cirque Du Soleil’s KOOZA (Glendale, through July 15th) – Whenever Cirque Du Soleil comes to town, you know you’re in for a thrilling spectacle. And inside University of Phoenix Stadium, the size and breadth of their display is sure to be awe-inspiring. Having already played in front of over four million spectators, KOOZA tells the story of a melancholy loner searching for his place in the world as told through daring acrobatics and artistic clowning. It’s an electrifying show that the whole family can appreciate.
- Huey Lewis and The News & Joe Cocker (Tucson, July 15th) – Let’s run through some of Huey Lewis & The News’ classic hits, shall we? “The Heart Or Rock & Roll,” “The Power Of Love,” “I Want A New Drug,” “Workin’ For A Livin’.” And that’s just a few of the many songs that made them one of the biggest bands of the 80’s. They’ll be joined on stage by Joe Cocker, the legendary blues rocker who gets by “With A Little Help from My Friends” and will put you “Up Where We Belong” with his melodies and memorable music.
- Christmas In July (Glendale, July 21st) – Christmas? In July? In Arizona? Yes on all three accounts. It’s that time of the year when Old St. Nick slaps on the sun screen and makes his way to Historic Downtown Glendale to take advantage of the “holiday” shopping. Begin your Summer Noel at the Glendale Visitor Center (5800 W. Glenn Drive, Suite 140) where you get your map, coupons and gift bag. Make sure you stop and greet Santa, who is happy to take photos with you and your family. The air will be full of Christmas music and there will be holiday-themed festivities and activities going on in and outside all of the local businesses. Make sure you bring school supplies for the Annual Back to School Supply Drive, which is in keeping with the giving spirit of the season!
As you can see, there’s no shortage of must-do events happening all over Arizona in July. So even if you’re inclined to stay indoors, there are fun reasons to get out and about this July.